Alerts: January 22 - 28, 2014
Housing forum at an historic location I-Hotel Manilatown Center, 868 Kearny, SF. 630pm, free. Join Sup. David Campos and others for a community forum on the housing affordability crisis in San Francisco at the Manilatown Center, the site of the historic International Hotel housing battle. Other panelists will include Gen Fujioka of the Chinatown Community Development Center; Lisa Gray Garcia aka Tiny, POOR Magazine and Angelica Cabande of the South of Market Community Action Network. The evening will also mark the debut of the "I-Hotel Anti-eviction, anti-gentrification Hit Squad" spoken word group.
Community forum on surveillance in Oakland Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce boardroom, 475 14th St., Oakl. www.lwvoakland.org. 6pm-7:30pm, free. The League of Women Voters of Oakland plans to host this discussion about Oakland surveillance. How does a city like Oakland respond to residents' demands for more effective crime prevention and reduction while protecting everyone's civil liberties? How will the Domain Awareness Center impact Oakland? How much surveillance is enough — or too much — to enhance our law enforcement capabilities? Bring your ideas and a friend to discuss these important issues with knowledgeable resource people and fellow Oaklanders.
Economic Strategies for Japantown's Cultural Preservation SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission, SF. www.spur.org/events.12:30pm, $10 non-member fee. This meeting is intended to help promote new strategies in improving and preserving the economic and cultural heritage of Japantown. The event will include speakers Bob Hamaguchi and Karen Kai of the Organizing Committee, Diana Ponce de Leon of the Office of Economic and Workforce Development, as well as Shelley Caltagirone and Steve Werthelm from the San Francisco Planning Department. Show your support and help guide the future of this historic neighborhood, while remembering its past.
Spaghetti Dinner and a Fight for Global Justice and Anti Capitalism Unitarian Universalist Center, 1187 Franklin, SF. www.sf99percent.org. 6-9pm, $20 requested donation. The San Francisco 99% dinner will feature a hearty meal plus a program featuring Jerry Mander, author of The Capitalist Papers: Fatal Flaws of an Obsolete System, political satirist Will Durst, poetry from Revolutionary Poets Brigade, and recognition of local activists. No one turned away for lack of funds. Sponsored by the Unitarian Universalists for Peace-San Francisco.
Most Commented On
- thanks to Drumututemple@yahoo.com a temple of solution - April 23, 2014
- The article clearly says that - April 23, 2014
- A SPELLCASTER WHO CAN BRING ERIC BROOKS TO TEARS! - April 23, 2014
- An amazing testimony on a spell caster who brought my wife back - April 23, 2014
- HOW I GOT MY EX LOVE BACK,THAT LEFT ME FOR THE PAST FOUR MONTHS - April 23, 2014
- THIS IS MY TESTIMONY ABOUT THE GOOD WORK OF Dr ATILA - April 23, 2014
- MY SPELLCASTER SHUT UP JASON GRANT GARZA! - April 23, 2014
- i am filled with joy in my heart thank you doctor ogogodu for yo - April 23, 2014
- ABC7's pedestrian safety coverage courts controversy - April 23, 2014
- It's extremely rare that a revenue increase is willingly - April 23, 2014